Sharon Pierce McCullough, a painter and sculptor, was born in 1943 in Granite City, Illinois. She currently resides in Cashtown, Pennsylvania. Her use of vivid colors has always been one of the most striking aspects of her work, with geometrics being the most repetitive theme. Her paintings reflect meaning relative to self, relationships and choices one makes in life. Her concrete and plaster sculptures, reflective of her love of simplicity, make use of ordinary and recycled materials to create unique, organic pieces of art. An underlying thread of "fun" has always permeated her works.
McCullough's current body of work includes large canvas paintings and life-size sculptures. Her most recent sculptures combine the use of thick glass, metal, mosaics and cement to cover large armatures constructed from steel and rebar. Her definitive style continues in her sculptures with the use of bold colors of glass combined with the ordinary look of cement. There is a spontaneity to her work as she explores the relationship of positive and negative space, color and form.
Her original artwork has been collected and displayed in private homes, businesses, children’s hospitals and public buildings across the country.
2015 - First Place for Sculpture, Art of the State, State Museum of Pennsylvania
2016 - Sculpture Design Award, Caldwell Arts Council, Lenoir NC
2016 - Judges Merit Award, Sculpture Celebration 2016, Lenoir NC
(Judge: Elizabeth Lee Kelley, Public Art Administrator, Chicago Transit Authority)
• 2017, La Vie En Bleu, Strathmore, Bethesda MD (sculpture)
• 2017, Specter 4, BG Gallery, Santa Monica CA
• 2016, Fur, Feathers & Fins, Annmarie Sculpture Garden, Solomons MD
• 2016, Sculpture Celebration 2016, Caldwell Arts Council, Lenoir NC
• 2015, Art of the State, State Museum of Pennsylvania, Hbg. PA (sculpture)
• 2015, Sculpture Celebration 2015, Caldwell Arts Council, Lenoir NC
• 2015 Biennial, Rochester Fine Art Museum, Rochester NH June 2015
• 2015, Found in Transition, Susquehanna Art Museum, Hbg PA (sculpture)
• 2014, 4th Emerge Art Show, Washington Project for the Arts, Wash DC
• 2014, Fall Art Show, ACAC, Gettysburg, PA
• 2014, Schmucker Gallery, Gettysburg College
• 2013, Abstracts, ACAC, Gettysburg, PA
• 2009, Virginia Art & Craft Festivals, Annandale VA
• 2007, Artfest, Harrisburg PA
• 2002-2005, deCordova Museum “Gallery on the Go”, Lincoln, MA
• 2005, Harrisburg Arts Council Exhibit, Harrisburg PA
• 2003, Richmond Art in the Park, Richmond, VA
• 2014, Color Me Happy, Adams County Arts Center, Gettysburg, PA
• 2012, Color, Color Everywhere, Gallery 30, Gettysburg, PA
• 2010, Blue Parrot, Gettysburg, PA
Sharon Pierce McCullough
Artist in Residence, Adams County Arts Council Star Grant, in conjunction with the Migrant Education & ESL Summer Program, July 2006
Project: 2D Tropical Art Collage created from participating children's art.
Artist in Residence, Franklin Township Elementary School (Gettysburg School District), January 2004 Project: Life-size Paper Mache figure over wood/ wire armature.
Education: Associate of Arts, Mount Aloysius College, Cresson, PA, May 1963.
Member: Washington Project for the Arts, DC
National Sculpture Society
UCI Medical Center, Pediatrics, Orange County CA
CHKD Childrens Hospital, Norfolk VA
Publications: (author / illustrator)
How To Books (1984 -1990)
Making Whirligigs & Other Wind Toys (Sterling, Sharon Pierce)
Making Folk Toys & Weathervanes
Making Holiday Folk Toys & Figures
Making Miniature Country Houses
Making Old-Time Folk Toys
Childrens Books (2001 - 2002)
Bunbun, the Middle One (Barefoot Books, Sharon Pierce McCullough)
Bunbun at Bedtime
Bunbun at the Fair
+ 30 Childrens ebook titles: iBooks / Amazon / Barnes & Noble (2004- 2012)