What better metaphor for life could there be, than bringing together small, sharp, broken pieces to create a new whole that tells a story?
I have been a mosaic artist for twelve years, a practicing psychotherapist for thirty five years, a divorce mediator for sixteen years, a wife for forty three years, a mother and now grandmother. All of these identities bring me satisfaction and joy at different times and in different ways, and in each there are moments of frustration and struggle as well. In the fabric of my life, the joy of creating art with my hands has been the weave moving in and out, and the art of helping people has been the warp, the strong standing thread.
In my art I explore intimate relationships and identity themes. To accomplish that I cut stained glass sheets in tiny pieces in various shapes and sizes, using the andamento, color, texture, and reflective qualities to achieve the desired effect.
Awards / Fellowships / Residencies
• "Puddle Reflections" is currently on display in the Governor's office of the Georgia State Capital building, until October 2016
• Image of mosaic "Ruth Bader Ginsburg" published in RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg November 2015
• Artist Residency at the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, Virginia in July 2015.
• "Nelson Mandela" awarded Honorable Mention in the Blossoms of Hope show, Portraits and Profiles: Inspirations In My Life, April - May 2014
• "Mother-Daughter Party Shoes" awarded Third Place for mosaic sculpture for invitational show " A Walk in My Shoes" sponsored by Blossoms of Hope in support of The Claudia Mayer Cancer Resource Center of Howard County General Hospital, April - May 2012.
• "Breaking Good" at the Hoffberger Gallery, Baltimore, Maryland, May -June 2014
• "From Pieces to Portraits" at the Columbia Center for the Arts in Columbia, Maryland, July to August 2012
• 6 pieces each year in Meeting House Gallery show for congregational members, 2015 and 2016
• Pieces shown in Columbia Arts Center gallery yearly faculty shows
• "St. Lucia Table" - selected for national juried Large scale mosaics exhibition, Mosaic International Exhibit, sponsored by the Society for Mosaic Artists (SAMA) in Washington, DC, 2005
• "Tzedakah Box" selected for juried Judaica exhibit sponsored by the Columbia Jewish Congregation partnered with Columbia Center for the Arts, Eddie Padow Cultural Arts, 2006
• "Soaring Sea Turtle" exhibited in "Moving Forward" show at Columbia Arts Center April 2016
• Portrait "Barbara Mikulski" purchased for award to Senator Mikulski by National Association of Social Workers Maryland Chapter March 2016
• Hope in My Cabinet" exhibited in an invitational mosaic art show at the Ridderhof Martin Gallery at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia January 2012.
• "Computer Printer Planter" was exhibited in an Invitational show for the Columbia Festival of the Arts Exhibit, "Art Reinvention: An Invitational Exhibition Featuring Art Created with Raw, Organic, Found or Recycled Materials, June 2012
2015 to present - Reflections Series
2013 to 2014 - People and Pets Series
2010 to 2012 - Heroes Series
2008 to 2010 - Children of Divorce Series
2004 to 2008 - Caribbean Series